The Irish Times uttered and published a spew of deception which must not go unanswered. News media should inform, not deceive. I will let most of the lies slide to concentrate on one target rich paragraph.
The assertion that Moe only fought defensive battles is an egregious lie, easily disproved. Turn first to the Noble Qur'an, Surah Al-Anfal.
Until 2001, I was unaware of the extortion letters which Moe dictated and dispatched to neighboring kingdoms and empires. Because I learned about them in a Paltalk chatroom, you will learn about them through this blog post. I present to you two brief excerpts from Moe's letter to the Chiefs of Aqaba. This letter stands out from the mill run because it is extremely explicit. The others leave a little to the imagination.
Allah promised them a victory, and they were lusting after the rich spoils of a caravan on the trade route. The Meccan army went out to defend the caravan, not to attack Moe. Moe went out to attack the caravan, and was met by the army.
Moe expressed his intention to wage war unless tribute was paid. That is offensive, not defensive warfare. The two main jihad imperatives begin with commands to fight: 8:39 & 9:29; where is the defensive element in those verses?
- And fight them until[...]
- Fight against those who[...]
Surah Al-Baqarah supposedly preaches defensive jihad; 2:190 tells Muslims to fight those who fight them. It does not say those who attack them. Click the link, read the ayat and scroll down to read the footnote which defines jihad. Where is the defensive element in that definition?
- And fight in the Way of Allâh those who fight you[...]
Sahih Muslim 19.4294 contains some clarifying elements.
- Fight against those who disbelieve in Allah.
- If they refuse to accept Islam, demand from them the Jizya. If they agree to pay, accept it from them and hold off your hands. If they refuse to pay the tax, seek Allah's help and fight them.
It becomes obvious that "those who fight you" means those who resist. Islamic law confirms the obvious. The Shafi'ite school sets a minimum of one ghazwat per year.
- [...] "The least that the imam must do is that he allow no year to pass without having organised a military expedition by himself, or by his raiding parties, according to the Muslims' interest, so that the jihad will only be stopped in a year for a (reasonable) excuse."
[...]In the time of the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) jihad was a communal obligation after his emigration (hijra) to Medina. As for subsequent times, there are two possible states in respect to non-Muslims.
The first is when they are in their own countries, in which case jihad (def: o9.8) is a communal obligation, and this is what our author is speaking of when he says, "Jihad is a communal obligation," meaning upon the Muslims each year. [Reliance of the Traveller O9.1]
The Hanifi school says that jihad must be continuous and is undertaken on Islamic initiative.
- War must be carried on against the Infidels, at all times, by some party of the Muslims. [Hedaya Vol. II, Book IX, Chapter 1, Page 140]
- The destruction of the sword is incurred by infidels, although they be not the first aggressors, as appears from various passages in the sacred writings which are generally received this effect. [Hedaya Vol. II, Book IX, Chapter 1, Page 141]
women & children
Isn't that nice, Moe prohibited his army from killing women and children. Muslims want us to assume that the proscription is based on morality. It is not; far from it. The proscription is economic.
- Some [jurists] are of the opinion that all of them may be killed, on the mere ground that they are unbelievers, but they make an exception for women and children since they constitute property for Muslims. [Imam Ibn Taymiyyah]
- [...](so that) a group (of them) you killed, and a group (of them) you made captives [33:26]
- Make a holy war, do not embezzle the spoils; do not break your pledge; and do not mutilate (the dead) bodies; do not kill the children. [Sahih] Muslim 19.4294
What do embezzlement and killing children have in common? Children are part of the spoils!
Forbidden in Islam? Yeah, right.
- We shall cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve,[...] [3:151]
- [...] I will cast terror into the hearts of those who have disbelieved, so strike them over the necks, and smite over all their fingers and toes." [8:12]
- [...]Allâh brought them down from their forts and cast terror into their hearts[...][33:26]
- [...]I have been made victorious with terror [...][Sahih Bukhari 4.52.220]
They love to cite Surah Al-Ma'idah 32 but never cite the ayat which follows it; why is that?
- The recompense of those who wage war against Allâh and His Messenger and do mischief in the land is only that they shall be killed or crucified or their hands and their feet be cut off on the opposite sides, or be exiled from the land. That is their disgrace in this world, and a great torment is theirs in the Hereafter. [5:33]
- `Wage war' mentioned here means, oppose and contradict, and it includes disbelief, blocking roads and spreading fear in the fairways. [Tafsir Ibn Kathir]
Ibn Kathir defined wage war against Allah to include disbelief; If you do not believe in Allah, you are waging war against him, and may be killed by Muslims. Only Muslims can be innocent.