Monday, March 21, 2011

International Judge the Koran Day: Execution

nternational Judge the Koran Day: Execution

This video of the sentencing & execution of a Koran was posted on Facebook.  I was not able to view the judgment with Firefox.  I was able to log on with Internet Explorer, but the audio quality was poor, and  the prosecutor was speaking in Arabic.  I did not hear the promised translation.  When I attempted to reload the page, the server timed out, which it continues to do more than four hours after the event.

    I suspect that the site which streamed the video might have suffered a distributed denial of service attack, but one source asserts that they went off line voluntarily.  I will continue to try the site periodically in hopes of finding video of the trial.  If and when I obtain more information about the trial I will write a new post about it.

    At present, there are two news stories about the trial and execution fo the Koran.

The Straits Times story should guarantee adequate coverage in Asia.  It is just a matter of time until the hot heads learn of the execution, then the rabble rousing will begin.  How much Hell they will raise is anyone's guess, the less the better.    Any violence which might ensue must be blamed on those who incite it and carry it out, not on the acts of judging and burning the Koran.

    I will be watching for reaction in and from the Human Rights Council as it enters its last week of deliberation for its 16th session. The council has a full calendar and can not afford to waste time on trifling matters. I doubt that the OIC will view the issue my way.

    While I do not disagree with the verdict, I dislike the idea of burning the Koran inside a church.  Even though it was well contained and isolated from flammable surfaces, the issues of fire hazard, liability, insurance and air pollution  would lead me to do it outdoors, in a burning barrel, covered with a fine screen to prevent fly ash from starting brush fires.

http://www.ustream.tv/flash/viewer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash

No comments: