- "These rituals remind us of the principles that we hold in common"
- lslam's role in advancing justice, progress,. tolerance, and the dignity of all human beings
Chapter 11, Paragraph 5, says of dhimmis:
- 2- are distinguished from Muslims in dress, wearing a wide cloth belt (zunnar);
3- are not greeted with "as-Salamu 'alaykum";
-4- must keep to the side of the street;
-5- may not build higher than or as high as the Muslims' buildings, though if they acquire a tall house, it is not razed;
- -6- are forbidden to openly display wine or pork, (A: to ring church bells or display crosses,) recite the Torah or Evangel aloud, or make public display of their funerals and feastdays;
-7- and are forbidden to build new churches.
- "For instance, fasting is a concept shared by many faiths - including my own Christian faith - as a
way to bring; people closer to God, and to those among us who cannot take their next meal for
granted. And the support that Muslims provide to others recalls our responsibility to advance
opportunity and prosperity for people everywhere. For all of us must remember that the world we
want to build - and the changes that we Want to make - must begin in our own hearts, and our
- It is not permissible to give zakat to a non-Muslim, or to someone whom one is obliged to support (def: m12.1), such as a wife or family member.
- "Beyond America' borders. we are also committed to keeping our responsibility to build a world
that is more peaceful and secure. That is why we are responsibly ending the war in Iraq."
- 'That is why we are isolating violent extremists while empowering the people in places like Afghanistan
- "That is why we are unyielding in our support for a two-state solution that
recognizes the rights of Israelis and Palestinians to live in peace and security."
- " And that is why America will always stand for the universal rights of all people to speak their mind, practice their
religion, contribute fully to society and have confidence in the rule of law."
- All of these efforts are a part of America' commitment to engage Muslims and Muslim-majority
nations on the basis of mutual interest and mutual respect.
- "And at this time of renewal, I want to reiterate my commitment to a new beginning between America and Muslims around the world,"
- From around the world, we have received an outpouring of feedback about how America can be a partner on behalf of peoples' aspirations.