Reliance of the Traveller: Handbook of Shari'ah
This post is spurred by recent interest in tags related to Reliance of the Traveller. It is being edited April 11, '12 because two links have been broken and a recent searcher sought a legible copy. If you need legibility and the complete text, your best option is to purchase a hard copy from Amazon. If you are interested in a particular page or pages, you can copy the text and paste it into your favorite editor for easier reading.
- http://www.islamicbulletin.org/free_downloads/resources/reliance_complete.pdf 31.4 mb low resolution pdf file. This appears to be the complete text of the book, including the certifications and index. 1251 pages.
- The old link is broken, the same version is now:
- The old link is broken, the same version is now:
- http://www.islamicbulletin.com/free_downloads/resources/reliance_complete2.pdf 57.31mb high resolution pdf file. Not complete: begins with book f.
- This link is broken!
H8.7: The Eight Categories of Recipients
It is obligatory to distribute one's zakat among eight categories of recipients (O: meaning that zakat goes to none besides them), one-eighth of the zakat to each category. (n: In the Hanafi school, it is valid for the giver to distribute his zakat to all of the categories, some of them, or to confine himself to just one of them (al-Lubab fi sharh al-Kitab(y88), 1.155). )
H8.17: Those Fighting for Allah
The seventh category is those fighting for Allah, meaning people engaged in Islamic military operations for whom no salary has been allotted in the army roster (O: but who are volunteers for jihad without remuneration). They are given enough to suffice them for the operation, even if affluent; of weapons, mounts, clothing, and expenses (O: for the duration of the journey, round trip, and the time they spend there, even if prolonged. Though nothing has been mentioned here of the expense involved in supporting such people's families during this period, it seems clear that they should also be given it).
It is not permissible to give zakat to a non-Muslim, or to someone whom one is obliged to support (def: m12.1), such as a wife or family member.
- http://www.crusadersarmory.co.cc/RelianceO9-0.html Jihad defined as making war on Kuffar.
- http://www.crusadersarmory.co.cc/RelianceO9-1.html The communal obligation to attack Kuffar at least once each year.
- http://www.crusadersarmory.co.cc/RelianceO9-8.html The caliph makes war on Jews... codification of 9:29.
- http://www.crusadersarmory.co.cc/RelianceO9-9.html The caliph fights all other people... codification of 8:39.
- http://www.crusadersarmory.co.cc/RelianceO4-9.html Unequal indemnity for killing non-Muslims.
- http://www.crusadersarmory.co.cc/RelianceO1-2.html Honoricide: no retaliation for killing your offspring.
- http://www.crusadersarmory.co.cc/RelianceO11-5.html Restrictions on Dhimmis.
- http://www.crusadersarmory.co.cc/RelianceO11-10.html Acts which violate Dhimma, subjecting the violator to the death penalty.
- http://www.crusadersarmory.co.cc/RelianceO9-13.html Women & children enslaved by reason of capture.
- http://www.crusadersarmory.co.cc/RelianceO8-7.html List of acts entailing apostasy.
- http://www.crusadersarmory.co.cc/RelianceO8-2.html Penalty for Apostasy.
- http://www.crusadersarmory.co.cc/RelianceO25-9.html The eighth duty of subordinate rulers: to undertake Jihad.
There are several schools of fiqh, while there is much common ground between them, there are sectarian differences, which one of the texts explains in some detail. Of the alternate sources of Shari'ah, this is the most legible & accessible though it is only available on the web.
A series of blog posts about Shari'ah has been compiled into a Windows Help File (chm). Shari'ah.chm (100K Zipped) Compiled from a series of articles about Shari'ah, how it can affect you and what you can do to stop it.
The Risala : A Treatise on Maliki Fiqh
'Abdullah ibn Abi Zayd al-Qayrawani (310/922 -
Translated by Alhaj Bello Mohammad Daura, MA
(London) Risala is more detailed in some areas and less detailed in others. If you have been wondering how a Muslim wipes his butt after his right hand is amputated for theft, Risala has the answer for you. Turn to 4.1(e) on page 43 if you are inordinantly curious and neither a prude nor easily offended. Hedaya, the Hanifi school's handbook of fiqh, is dense, arcane & printed in an archaic type face but it clarifies some vital issues including the offensive nature of jihad an extortionate nature of juzya. Hedaya also includes explanation of the differences with the Shafi'i school's Reliance. Hedaya's four volumes have been compressed into two which are available from Amazon, Google Books and the internet archive in a viewr and pdf format. Vol. II contains the important fiqh of jihad in Book IX. Whenver a politician, preacher, journalist, blogger or commentator asserts:
- "Islam is a great religion of peace."
- "Islam only fights in self defense."
- 'The jihad imperatives only apply to times of war."
and similar malignant malarkey, you should turn to Reliance, hedaya & Risala to reconnect with the truth.Book O, Chapter 9 of Reliance defines jihad as "war against non-Muslims", the obligation to perform it as "communal" and the caliph's enforcement of that obligation as "the caliph makes war against Jews, Christians and Zoroastrians until..." & "the caliph fights all other peoples until..." . The religious obligation to attack non-Muslims while they are at home in their own countries, minding their own affairs is binding upon Muslims "in every year". Book IX, Chapter I of Hedaya, Volume II informs us that "destruction of the sword is incurred by infidels though they be not the first aggressors".
Cg, II delves into Jizya, informing us that it is in lieu of destruction; a form of punishment for infidelity. Chapter 30 of Risala confirms the definition of jihad and the duty of dawa which proceeds the conquest. "And it is preferable, according to us, that the enemy are not fought until they have been invited to the din of Allah except if they attack first." "30.2c. Offering a choice between Islam and jizya
They can either accept Islam or pay the jizya (tax on non-Muslims); if not they are to be fought." Muslims, treasonous politicians, clergy who have sold their souls to Satan and corrupt & intimidated journalists spew egregious lies about Islam secure in the knowledge that most listeners lack the means and the will to discover the truth for themselves. You now have the means to discover the truth for yourself. Will you make good use of that opportunity or will you stick your head back into the sand?
Muslims and their dhimis will swear that they have no intention of enforcing the Shari'ah relating to jihad, instead, they want only to enforce 'domestic/family" law. Isn't that sweet?Shari'ah allows a Muslim to force his pre-pubescent virgin daughter to marry the man of his choice. And, if she defies his command, he can kill her without fear of retaliation. Of course, honoricide is strictly cultural, not Islamic, yeah, right.
And when he decides to divorce her mother, he just repeats "I divorce you" three times; if the mother is not Muslim, she can not obtain child custody. If she obtains custody and remarries, she loses it.
- Risala 32.2
Then there is the matter of Islamic charity, totally innocuous, right? Wrong!! Do you remember when President Obama made his tear jerker pitch about allowing Muslims to contribute to charity without obstructions? There is a little detail he concealed from you: zakat is divided into eight equal shares, one of which goes to fund terrorism. Zakat is imposed at the rate of 2.5% on savings and transactions. From each $1million, $3125. finances terrorism.
Am I a rabid racist, fascist, hatemonging Islamophobe or are the experts & authorities liars & deceivers? If your head is up your butt or in the sand, you will believe the liars; I can do nothing to help you. If you are open minded and your eyes are not blinded by impacted feces, you will follow the links I have provided and discover the truth for yourself; then you will share it with others.